Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Egypt

Photobucket


Egypt- The alphabets that form the word "Egypt" is already mind blowing. What can I say about Egypt except YOU MUST GO THERE AT LEAST ONCE IN YOUR LIFETIME!!! And how timely it is that Air Asia is now flying to the Middle East starting next month.With that route from KL, visiting the Pyramids is a step closer. Really, a god damn step closer. Once you arrive in Abu Dhabi of the UAE, you can take a low cost flight to Cairo which is like flying from Kuala Lumpur to Kota Bharu.

Anyway, Cairo is simply amazing and awesome. I landed in Cairo around midnight and the smell of the desert and sand hits you immediately. I took a cab to the hotel and I couldn't see a damn thing not because it was dark but because my cab driver drove like a madman. In the morning, when I looked out my hotel balcony, this was what I saw :
Photobucket
Nile River

Photobucket
Early morning Cairo street before the nighmarish traffic

My first itinerary - The Pyramids. What else right? When I first laid eyes on the Pyramids from my taxi, I was speechless.Literally. Apparently, the initial sight of the Pyramids will give you that. I spent a whole day touring the three Pyramids and also the Sphinx. View the photos guys.
Photobucket
Mr Sphinx

Photobucket
Love my tripod

Photobucket
Excavation still on going

Photobucket
Three Pyramids In One Shot

I used Cairo's subways to get around and it was pretty easy and cheap. Do take note that the subway carriages are segregated-men and women. I mistakenly hopped onto a woman's only carriage and was surrounded by Egyptian beauties. No harm done. A little mistake by an Asian Chinese tourist.
Photobucket
Cairo's Subway

My destination was Khan El Khalili, a major souk in the Islanmic district of Cairo. More disorganized than The Grand Bazaar in Istanbul. This souk has been operating since 1382 and we're in 2009 - that's 627 years of operations.
What's cool over in Khan El Khalili is the constant vibrant movement of people and livestock and maybe a terrorist or two.
Photobucket
Falluca at The Mighty Nile

The Nile River. The mighty Nile river. Don't sign up for the huge and expensive Nile cruises. In the cruise ship, there's a buffet spread, loud disco music and belly dancing performances which is not my cup of tea. Instead, take a stroll down the river, ask any falluca owners if he'd be interested to take you down the river for a fee and he will gladly do so. I paid my falluca guy 50 Egyptian Pounds and got a personal cruise down the Nile.
Photobucket
Cruising down the Nile
Photobucket
Yay....the Nile


In the next few days, I went to the British Museum, Coptic Churches and took a 2 hour train ride to Alexandria. I went to two beautiful Citadels. One in Cairo and the other in Alexandria.
Photobucket
Citadel in Alexandria

Photobucket
Citadel in Cairo


There's a whole lot of others places that I went and it's just too many to list them all here. Enjoy the pictures.

2 comments:

Jiggee Jon said...

Awesome stuff bro! Live life, enuf said!

Fizlynn said...

Hi, do you have a nice time at Cairo? Found your link from Ms Fudge blog. Remind me of my trip there, but I didn't go to Alexandia but went to Luxor. You are so brave travel alone in Khan Khalili,that is the advantage being a guy.