Wednesday, December 25, 2013

Sg Gumut Falls


A few weeks ago, the Godfather of Waterfalls, Mr Jan Stuivenberg invited me for a waterfall trip to a relatively unknown waterfall called Sungai Gumut Waterfall. He has never been there before but another waterfall enthusiast, Mr Eddie Yap visited this waterfall 2 years ago. Without much thought, I offered to drive us there. Getting an invitation from Jan is like Christopher Columbus inviting you to captain the Nina while Columbus captained the Santa Maria. Such a privilege.
Jan Stuivenberg

We met up with Rani at Damansara Perdana and he was to hop into my car as well. Before he could do so, his car’s locking mechanism remote failed on him and while attempting to bring life to the device, it rained heavily. He tried for 15 minutes but to no avail and Jan called Eddie to prompt him that there could be a possibility of a cancellation. Never wanting to miss a waterfall trip with Jan, I drove Rani to a hardware shop at 915am and lo and behold, he got it fixed there and by 10am, we were on our way to Kuala Kubu Bahru. After passing the Rawang toll, Jan and I got into a conversation of concentration camps. It was still pouring heavily when all of a sudden, the car in front of us hit the brakes and I in turn, pressed on my brakes as well. Because of the wet road and the sudden loss of traction, my Ford Ranger started to skid at first to the right and then to the left ...narrowly avoiding the car ahead of us. What we saw after that was a slight carnage (pun intended) whereby 3 vehicles were already in a pile up. Phew...I picked my heart up from the floor and continued our journey. Having said all that, I could have summed up the description with one word : Aquaplaning. We arrived in Kuala Kubu Bahru to meet up with KKB resident explorer , Mr Eddie Yap. 25 minutes later, we parked and began trekking to the Sg Gumut Waterfall. It was an easy peasy lemon squeezy trek (1 hour 58 minutes) and a short distance of river trekking. Below are some photos of the Sg Gumut Falls :
No.2 best waterfall hunter in Malaysia
From L-R : Rani, Jan , Eddie

NEVER STOP EXPLORING

No comments: